The present day church is probably the result of a reconstruction of a previous structure after the 1706 earthquake.
The church was commissioned by the Sardi family who, in 1692, bought a small building in front of the baronial family palazzo where they would then build a church.
We know from written sources that in 1696 the church was definitely open for worship and that in 1715 the building was enlarged, probably to its current form.
The building was restored in 2013.
The present day church is the result of a reconstruction carried out in the first two decades of the 20th century following the collapse of the former church, caused by a fire in 1792.
The hermitage church is located less than two kilometres from the town of Rivisondoli, near the Cinquemiglia Plateau.
It was built in 1589 probably on the site of a previous church, and was originally intended as a refuge for travellers and before that as a simple shrine.
The last hermit to inhabit the building was Father Nicola di Coccia, a farmer originally from Palena, whose...